In an effort to make sure Native people get counted in New Mexico and help us prepare for an upcoming Town Hall on April 9 the Census, the NM Native Census Coalition, a collaboration of Tribes, Tribal organizations, nonprofits and businesses working together to ensure an accurate 2020 count, is hosting a short video contest and selfie contest on the #2020Census.
We’re especially interested in hearing from Native children and their families as more than a million children ages 0-4 were missed in the previous count.
- Take a selfie or video that has a sign that says “I am (xxx tribe) and #ICount.” When you post the selfie or video, please also use the #NMNativeCensusChallenge hashtag and please tag the NM Native Census Coalition.
- Or create a video that states why the Census is important to you or your community and end with you or everyone in your family stating, “I am/we are xxxx tribe and I count.”
- Video has to be between 30 seconds & 3 minutes.
- Videos can be posted on personal Facebook pages, the NM Native Census Coalition Facebook page, or other social media channels, including Instagram or YouTube. Please use the #NMNativeCensusChallenge hashtag when posting and tag us.
- Submission of video and photos must have the #NMNativeCensusChallenge hashtag to be eligible for drawing. Also please tag us on Facebook @nmnativecensuscoalition and Instagram at @nmnativecensus or Twitter at @nmnativecensus.
Other hashtags the NMNC Coalition has been using (but are not necessary to be eligibe the contest) are #ABQNativesCount2020 #NMNativesCount #WeCountNM
- Those who submit videos and photos to the NM Native Census Coalition for #NMNativeCensusChallenge consent to the use of video or photo by the NM Native Census Coalition and its parent organization, the NAVA Education Project, for promotional or educational purposes. Those who submit understand that the video and photos may be edited after submission. Those who also submit video and photos understand the rights to inspect or approve, or any further benefit other than a chance in a contest drawing are also forfeited after submission.
- Names of the winners of the drawing, two electronic gift cards for $25 (two separate ones for $25 each), will be held during Town Hall between 11 to noon on April 9.
- The deadline has been extended to April 8 at 5 pm. For questions, please email us at email@example.com and put “Video & photo contest” in subject line.
And don’t forget to join us for the Town Hall at 11 am on April 9, which will be streamed live on our Facebook channel to see your entry during this time and hear the announcement of the winners.